Grilled Greek Chicken Souvlaki
Fresh and flavorful, this Grilled Greek Chicken Souvlaki will bring the taste of the Mediterranean to your backyard. Souvlaki means simply “meat on skewers,” and is typically used to describe marinated meat that’s grilled on skewers and served in a warm pita. This version is marinated in lemon and spices, then grilled to perfection and tucked inside a pita with homemade Tzatziki sauce, fresh tomatoes, olives and red onions.
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 cup Grapeseed Oil
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 1/2 tbsp Oregano
4 Pita or Flatbread, brushed with oil and dried oregano
1 tsp Garlic, Granulated
1 tbsp Parsley, Chopped
Red Onion, Sliced Thinly
2 cups Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup Cucumber, grated
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dill, dried
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- ¼ tsp Granulated garlic
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar, dried dill, salt, and granulated garlic. Fold in grated cucumber, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 5 days).
Wood Pellet Recommendation
The subtle smoky flavor of New England Apple Hardwood Pellets will help prevent it from overpowering the delicate flavors from the Tzatziki sauce and the chicken marinade.
- Prepare marinade for chicken: in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together grapeseed oil, lemon juice, granulated garlic, dried oregano, dried parsley, salt, and pepper. Add the cubed chicken and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the tzatziki sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and skewer pieces onto metal or wooden skewers (note: if using wooden skewers, be sure and soak in water for at least an hour prior to grilling).
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills pellet grill and preheat to 425°F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for medium-high heat.
- Place chicken skewers directly on the grill grate and grill 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally to cook evenly through. Remove chicken from grill, and rest for 5 to 10 minutes prior to serving.
- When chicken is almost done, place pita on the grill to warm through. Serve whole or cut into wedges.
- Serve chicken souvlaki warm with grilled pita, tzatziki sauce, fresh tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, and lemon wedges, if desired.
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Plastic Wrap
- Wooden or metal skewers
This recipe is equally delicious when made with Lamb. You only need to cook it to medium rare.