Try a fresh twist on a classic roasted chicken with this lemony Greek Chicken. A whole chicken is seasoned generously in garlic and herbs, then stuffed with lemon and garlic, then cooked on the grill to infuse delicious wood-fired flavors. The lemons provide both moisture and flavor for a bright flavor profile that’s perfect for your summer barbeque. Serve with a fresh tomato salad or orzo to make it a meal.
2 tbsp Butter, cubed
1 Head of Garlic, cloves peeled, smashed
1 tbsp Oregano, dried
2 tsp Salt
4 lb Chicken, Whole
1 Lemon, sliced thin
1 tsp Pepper
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills pellet grill and with the lid open, set your temperature to SMOKE mode.
- Once the fire is lit preheat to 375° F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for medium-high heat.
- Rinse whole chicken under cold water, then pat dry with paper towel.
- Transfer chicken to a cast iron Dutch oven.
- In a small dish, use a fork to combine the oregano, salt and pepper, then sprinkle some of the seasoning inside the cavity. Place half of the lemon slices and 3 garlic cloves in the cavity of the chicken.
- Season the outside of the chicken with remaining seasoning, then place remaining lemon and garlic around and on top of the chicken. Top with butter.
- Cover the Dutch oven with a lid and place on the grill. Cook for 75 to 90 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, rest for 15 minutes, then carve and serve warm.
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- Paper Towel
- Small Bowl
Looking to get the most moisture while maintaining a beautiful crust? Gently work your fingers between the skin and the meat of the breasts and legs, separating the two from one another and work in another layer of flavor with additional butter.