2 tbsp Butter, cubed
1 Head of Garlic, cloves peeled, smashed
1 tbsp Oregano, dried
2 tsp Salt
4 lb Chicken, Whole
Louisiana Grills Citrus Spice Rub
1 Lemon, sliced thin
1 tsp Pepper
Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills pellet grill and with the lid open, set your temperature to SMOKE mode.
- Once the fire is lit preheat to 375° F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for medium-high heat.
- Rinse whole chicken under cold water, then pat dry with paper towel.
- Transfer chicken to a cast iron Dutch oven.
- In a small dish, use a fork to combine the oregano, salt and pepper, then sprinkle some of the seasoning inside the cavity. Place half of the lemon slices and 3 garlic cloves in the cavity of the chicken.
- Season the outside of the chicken with remaining seasoning, then place remaining lemon and garlic around and on top of the chicken. Top with butter.
- Cover the Dutch oven with a lid and place on the grill. Cook for 75 to 90 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, rest for 15 minutes, then carve and serve warm.
Looking to get the most moisture while maintaining a beautiful crust? Gently work your fingers between the skin and the meat of the breasts and legs, separating the two from one another and work in another layer of flavor with additional butter.