Wild Rice & Mushroom Stuffed Smoke Lake Trout
If you love to smoke meat and are looking for a painless recipe to make on a weeknight, try this Stuffed Smoked Lake Trout for a healthy, delicious dinner. It’s a beautiful, easy seafood dinner that is sure to impress your family and friends and comes together in a little over an hour. Serve this trout whole over polenta for a truly exciting presentation.
1 tbsp Butter
6 oz Cremini Mushrooms
Lemon Pepper Garlic Herb Seasoning
2 rainbow trout, scaled and guts removed, split
6 oz cooked wild rice
1 tbsp Garlic, Minced
Optional: fresh thyme, lemon juice
1 Small Onion, Diced
How Long to Smoke Trout
To smoke 2 whole rainbow trout at 225°F, it should take about 1 to 2 hours. The texture of the trout should be flaky, opaque, and tender. Estimated internal temperature should be around 145°F.
Note: It is recommended to use Pennsylvania Cherry Hardwood Pellets with this recipe.
- Lay the trout on a flat work surface. Rub the outside of the fish with olive oil and season generously with Lemon Pepper Garlic Herb seasoning.
- In a pan over low -medium heat, add butter, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Sauté and add the wild rice in. Transfer rice mixture to bowl.
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills smoker and set the temperature to 225°F.
- While your grill is pre-heating, take the wild rice mixture and stuff the cavity of the trout. Place on sheet pan and take the stuffed trout to the grill.
- Place the stuffed trout directly on the smoker grates and smoke at 225°F and smoke the fish for 1 – 2 hours, or until the texture of the fish is tender, flaky, and opaque, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Remove the fish from the grill. Peel back the fish’s skin and remove the flesh from the bones before serving. Drizzle the trout with lemon juice before serving.
- Cutting Board
- Sheet Pan
Try leaving the Trout in a wet brine overnight in the refrigerator. This will leave the fish nice and moist after it is done smoking.