Wood Pellet Recommendation
1 tbsp Butter
6 oz Cremini Mushrooms
Louisiana Grills Savory Smokehouse Rub
2 rainbow trout, scaled and guts removed, split
6 oz cooked wild rice
1 tbsp Garlic, Minced
Optional: fresh thyme, lemon juice
1 Small Onion, Diced
How Long to Smoke Trout
To smoke 2 whole rainbow trout at 225°F, it should take about 1 to 2 hours. The texture of the trout should be flaky, opaque, and tender. Estimated internal temperature should be around 145°F.
Lay the trout on a flat work surface. Rub the outside of the fish with olive oil and season generously with Savory Smokehouse Rub.
- In a pan over low -medium heat, add butter, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Sauté and add the wild rice in. Transfer rice mixture to bowl.
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills smoker and set the temperature to 225°F.
- While your grill is pre-heating, take the wild rice mixture and stuff the cavity of the trout. Place on sheet pan and take the stuffed trout to the grill.
- Place the stuffed trout directly on the smoker grates and smoke at 225°F and smoke the fish for 1 – 2 hours, or until the texture of the fish is tender, flaky, and opaque, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Remove the fish from the grill. Peel back the fish’s skin and remove the flesh from the bones before serving. Drizzle the trout with lemon juice before serving.
Try leaving the Trout in a wet brine overnight in the refrigerator. This will leave the fish nice and moist after it is done smoking.