Venture beyond traditional Thanksgiving flavors with this bold Mexican-style Thanksgiving Turkey. This succulent
grilled bird is marinated in a zesty citrus marinade that gets a kick from spicy and smoky adobo chili sauce. The resulting turkey has savory and complex flavors that permeate both the delicious skin and tender meat within.
We recommend stuffing this turkey with our Chorizo, Pecan, Apple Cornbread Stuffing prior to grilling.
Spicy Thanksgiving Turkey Marinade
- Garlic Cloves
- Adobo Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Chicken Broth
- Oranges, Juiced
- Lemon, Juiced
- Lime, Juiced
- Louisiana Pulled Pork Rub
- In a large blender, add garlic cloves, Adobo sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice and Louisiana Grills
Pulled Pork Rub. Blend on high until a smooth sauce forms. Set aside.
- Rinse turkey thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Place turkey inside large plastic bag and pour marinade over the top. Seal the bag and massage thoroughly. Place turkey on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours, turning the turkey every 8 hours.
Note: It is recommended to use Competition Hardwood Pellets with this recipe.
This recipe uses Louisiana Grills Pulled Pork Rub
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills pellet grill and preheat to 450°F, with lid closed. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set it up for high heat.
- Spread the tomatoes and onions evenly over the bottom of the roasting pan. Set the turkey, breast side up, on top of the vegetables. Stuff the cavity of the turkey with cornbread stuffing, then close the cavity by crossing the legs and tying with butcher’s twine. Pour remaining marinade over turkey.
- Transfer turkey to grill and roast for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, open the grill and cover the turkey with aluminum foil, crimping the foil around the edges of the roasting pan. Reduce grill temperature to 350° F, and grill an additional 2 ½ hours.
- Remove turkey from grill and baste with pan juices. Return to grill, uncovered, and turn grill up to 400° F. Cook turkey another 15 minutes or until the skin is golden and internal temp reaches 165° F. Remove from grill and allow turkey to rest for 30 minutes before carving.