This delicious BBQ Smoked Turkey Jerky is an excellent snack or pick me up post-workout. Packed with protein and low in fat, this Turkey Jerky recipe utilizes the turkey breast, so it will be a favorite healthy treat for you and your friends! Make sure to make extra—seal in an air tight bag and it can last for weeks in your fridge.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, water, barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, quick curing salt, and 2 tablespoons of the Sweet Rib Rub. Whisk together until well combined and pour into a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the turkey into ¼ inch slices with the grain (this is easier if the meat is partially frozen). Trim off any fat, skin or connective tissue and discard.
- Place the turkey slices into the plastic bag, seal, and massage the marinade into the turkey. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Once the jerky is ready to go, remove the turkey from the refrigerator, drain the marinade and discard. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels and sprinkle all sides generously with the remaining Sweet Rib Rub.
- Fire up your Louisiana Grill and set the temperature to 180°F. If you’re using a sawdust or charcoal smoker, set it up for medium low heat.
- Place the turkey slices directly onto the smoker grates and smoke for 2-4 hours, or until the jerky is chewy but still bends slightly.
- Transfer the jerky to a resealable plastic bag while the jerky is still warm and allow it to sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Squeeze any air from the bag and place in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.